With the weather warming up, there is no better time to start enjoying all the fantastic water sports Perth has to offer. So, you’ve loaded your Sea-Doo on its trailer, packed the tube, and got everything you need to spend a few days by the beach. But are you really prepared? From boating, snorkelling, water skiing, or swimming, any kind of water-based activity requires safety precautions. It’s also important you understand potential dangers. Make sure your family and friend know how to stay safe while having fun out on the water this summer.
How much do you know about water safety? Would you be able to react quickly in an emergency? Read on to learn our top tips for water sports safety this summer.
Did you know that drowning is one of the leading causes of death in children 1 to 4 years? It’s also one of the top causes of death in people aged 5 to 24 years old. Whether you’re at the pool, river, estuary or beach, practice proper water safety. No one wants an accident this summer. Here are some swimming precautions we recommend everyone keeps in mind:
- Don’t get in the water unless you know how to swim – you can drown in just a few inches of water.
- Don’t swim alone – always have a buddy with you.
- Learn how to perform CPR and other surf rescue techniques; it could save someone’s life
- Don’t drink alcohol if you plan on swimming – no exceptions
- Know your skill level – open water swimming is a very different environment from a pool and can be dangerous if you can’t handle strong currents. If you find yourself in a rip, stay calm and let the current carry you until you can swim free and signal for help.
When Boating, Kayaking, Canoeing, or on your Sea-Doo Jetski
Most West Aussies love recreational boating – it’s almost in our blood. But before you head out on the water this summer, take some time to get familiar with these tips:
- Always wear a life jacket when you’re on the water – every single time. Don’t take a chance as accidents can happen in an instant.
- Check the weather reports regularly and turn around if there are storm clouds, strong winds, or a drop in temperature.
- Don’t drink alcohol – no exceptions
- Take a boating safety course – it’s good to do this every couple of years.
- Ensure you have a first aid kit, water, flashlights, maps, and a toolbox on board.
- Obey all warning signs.
- Know your skill level: kayaking or canoeing can be dangerous if you attempt to paddle on a river or lake that is too challenging for you.
If you are the driver of a boat or jetski, the safety of passengers and the skier or rider is your responsibility. Here are a few safety factors to keep in mind:
- Keep a safe distance from the shore, other boats, and any obstacles (including swimmers).
- Always look ahead and let the spotter keep track of all the fun action behind.
- If you return to a downed water skier, always keep them on the driver’s side, so you keep them in sight.
- Never let a skier or rider gear up on the swim platform, slip into the water, or reboard without first shutting off the engine – a propeller wound can be fatal.
- Learn the speeds used in each activity.
- Learn how strongly to pull a water skier out of the water when beginning.
Boat Tubing Safety Tips
Inflatable tubes might look like a simple towable, but they deserve extra attention. Stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations about the number of passengers and weight capacities as overloading an inflatable will reduce its performance. Additional passengers can also increase the risk of injury. Adhere to towing speed limits, so the inflatable behaves as intended.
Ensure you inflate the tube correctly to ensure it behaves appropriately on the water and keeps passengers safe. Take extra care when towing a tube from your boat or Sea-Doo jet ski. While it’s fun to “whips” the tube around, sharps turns can injure the passengers.
Keep an eye on the wakes of your boat and those around you. We want you to end the day happy and relaxed, not in a hospital emergency department.
Why Choose Friday’s Jetskis For Your Sea-Doo In Perth?
Friday’s Jetskis is one of Perth’s most trusted Sea-Doo jet ski dealerships. We’re here to help you realise your outdoor action and adventure dreams – and we want you to do it safely!
Give us a call or come in for a visit with any questions you might have. Even better, we also offer excellent financing options, which means you could be out and about on your new Sea-Doo jet ski in Perth asap. We’re open seven days a week. Come in and see us today!