A jet ski is a major investment for your family. With the right care and maintenance, your jet ski will guarantee years of fun in the sun and thrills on the sea, but a neglected jet ski may end up costing you more money than you expect. Follow these tips to ensure you get the most from your exciting new water sport.
- Keep hold of your owner’s manual. The specific owners manual that comes with your jet ski will be your most important guide for keeping your jet ski in brand new condition. While you may find guidelines on the web or read books about jet ski maintenance, it’s important to follow the correct steps for your specific product. Refer back to your original owner’s manual regularly to make sure that your jet ski is being cared for properly.
- Buy from a trusted parts dealer. If the time comes that you need a new part for your jet ski or repairs carried out, you should deal only with trusted and established jet ski parts dealers. They will know exactly which parts will work with your jet ski, and will be able to offer expert advice that you won’t find from a less experienced or unauthorised dealer.
- Maintain your fuel. You should never allow old fuel to hang about in your jet ski’s engine. Dispose of old fuel regularly to keep the engine running smoothly, and remember to drain and dispose of the fuel in the correct, safe way.
- Clean the exterior and interior after use. When you ride your jet ski through the waves, plenty of salt water, other corrosive and potentially damaging substances will build up on your jet ski. Give the jet ski a thorough clean and salt rinse flush after each ride, clean both interior and exterior to prevent any damage from occurring.
- Check before you ride. Before you head out into the ocean for a day on the surf, give your jet ski a good check over, assessing it for any loose parts or signs of damage. Make sure your drain plugs are in, and you have fueled up. Riding your jet ski when damage has occurred could be dangerous, so this step is crucial.
- Do your regular maintenance sessions. There are particular tasks involved in the maintenance of your jet ski that should be done regularly at a genuine dealership. Schedule your maintenance in where you will get your jet ski’s engine oil, filter, and spark plugs changed. Lubricated parts, grease the seals, and most importantly get your ECU updates and assess any possible damage, problems that need to be addressed.